Dear Carnegie Coach:
I have recently been promoted to the Sales Manager within my company. One thing I noticed while working with the company was the lack recurring business I would get from my clients. In my past jobs we always went out of our way to follow up with our customers. Do you have any suggestions for how I can make sure that my sales team is following up with and staying connected with our customers?
Staying in contact with customers and customer management are important ways to increase your return on investment. Organizations of all sizes struggle to keep in touch with their customers because it can be such a time consuming experience. Setting up a simple follow through system with your customers will allow you to keep your company’s solution at the top of client’s minds when they are ready to buy. Here are a few ways that your team can work on building customer relationships, and break down the follow through barriers.
- Schedule Follow-Through Time – Follow through is a time-consuming process that may slide down your priority list when you are caught up in daily activities. Build time into your schedule for it and understand that it is a long-term investment of your time, just like saving for retirement saving early and often is the best long-term investment in a fruitful future.
- Don’t Hesitate – Many of us would rather not be perceived as too pushy. Call with the point of just following through, if you are nervous about seeming pushy. If you are challenged in building rapport, don’t make an offer the first time you call.
- Get Organized – Many organizations have a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. Make sure that you enter the original purchase information from the client correctly and completely. Use your scheduled follow-through time to get in contact with the clients about any discrepancies.
- Learn – You may struggle at the ground level of establishing your follow through system. Even a good system that works for others might not work for you or your organization. If a customer management system doesn’t work for you, tweak it until it makes sense for you and your organization.
Do you have a business related question? Would you like advice on a workplace issue? Leave us a comment to receive some advice from a Carnegie Coach.
- Customer Relationship Management: Breaking Down the Barriers to Follow-Through You will see a tremendous return on investment when you...
- Ways to Motivate People: Encouraging Others to Want to Follow You Ever wonder how you can convince your colleagues and clients...
- Influencing Others to Follow Your Way of Thinking Simply put, it’s difficult to be an effective leader or...
- Building Client Relationships Dear Carnegie Coach: I recently had a difficult client relationship....